Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Spicy Orange Margaritas

Hello, dear friends. It's been a very long time since I last blogged, I know--life was crazy with graduate school applications and general post-wedding madness. But now I'm back, and armed with creations whipped together during the DC Snowmageddon. I've got a yummy frittata and wild blueberry pancakes with homemade maple-blueberry jam to share--and later, 16-hour slow-cooked carnitas--but first, *alcohol*!


It being so cold and all, I began craving a winter cocktail that would help me imagine myself on a beach somewhere, toes buried in delicate white sand, and also be somehow seasonally appropriate. I think this spicy orange margarita is a perfect blend of seasonality and tropicality--the heat from the chilis makes it tough enough to combat the winter doldrums, while the orange and tequila put me squarely in the vacation mindset. It doesn't hurt that oranges and tangerines are in season in the dead of winter! The first time that I made these, I used slightly underripe tangerines from my parents' tree--the intense sourness was a nice counterpart to the chili heat. Since then, however, I've made them with regular OJ, with no complaints.

The best part of this drink is that it is so easy to make, and to make it bulk for a winter dinner party. All you need is regular tequila; tangerines, tangelos, oranges, or orange/tangerine juice; cointreau or triple sec; limes; and chilies to add heat. Oh, and at least a few hours to let the chilies steep in the tequila.

This recipe was inspired by the Spicy Margarita served at La Sandia restaurant in Tysons Corner, VA.

Ingredients
Tequila
Cointreau or Triple Sec
Citrus fruits (tangerines, oranges, tangelos--slightly underripe is okay) or tangerine/orange juice
Limes (I use regular, but I can imagine key limes being very tasty here as well)
Chilies (My favorites are serranos and habaneros, but jalapenos work in a pinch)

1. Steep 2-3 chilis, chopped crosswise, in 1-2 cups of tequila. There is no need to be precise here! Let the tequila steep for awhile, preferably for at least a few hours or overnight. The tequila keeps in the fridge for at least a few weeks--I'm still using tequila that was steeped 3 weeks ago.

2. Mix the chili tequila (without the chilies it was steeped with) with the Cointreau or Triple Sec and lime juice, in the approximate ratio: for one margarita, 1.5 oz tequila, .5 oz Cointreau or Triple Sec, and the juice of half a lime (perhaps a little less if the lime is very juicy. We don't get very juicy limes in DC). If I'm making just one or two servings, I mix right in the glass, since the tequila is already chilled anyway. For more servings, mix in a martini shaker or in a pitcher. If you like salt with your margaritas--I stay away from it because of the sodium content--wet the lip of your glass with water and use a saucer covered in salt to salt the rim.

3. Add ice to your liking, and garnish with a chili cross-section if desired.